Monday, April 25, 2016

mentoring.


For the last year and a half, I’ve been a mentor with Big Brothers and Big Sisters. B is my current little “sister” and she is 10 years old.  Our activities have included hikes, movies & eating out for dinner. Our latest outing, we went on a bike ride at Rancho Penasquitos (RP).

Barbara has a very heavy bike without any gears. I selected RP because of the dirt trails and absence of car traffic. I thought it would be an easier route. However, in this case it turned out more challenging than I anticipated. For B’s first ride, she experienced sand, rocks, uphills, downhills, packed dirt and a few falls. All in all she rallied through the ride. Our 6.2 mile ride also included a waterfall crossing. B enjoyed the ride, did get tired and told me she's ready for our next bike ride.


B gave me so much happiness by enjoying my passion of cycling (and in the dirt!).  Cycling provides you with self-confidence and the experience of nature. I am hoping that exposing her to bike riding it will open her mind to new adventures. We both enjoyed riding and spending time together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment